Fast track for Portuguese
citizenship and visa-free in
In 2012 the Portuguese Government launched The Golden Visa Program that is a fast track for foreign investors from non-EU countries to obtain a fully valid residency permit in Portugal (“Golden Visa”).
We will support the whole process, connecting the client to lawyers, banks and following up with them to assure that all deadlines will be achieved, we are your main point of contact in Portugal.
Golden Visa for Portugal
An attractive program for Non-EU to get resident permit and then citizenship through an investment of minimum €500.000 in property acquisition or €350.000 in investments funds on Portuguese companies, allowing such permit holders free circulation in Schengen countries (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland).
The residence permit is granted for a period of one year, renewable for two successive periods of two years, and requires the maintenance of the investment for a minimum period of five years and the presence in Portuguese territory for 7 days (consecutive or not) in the first year and 14 days (consecutive or not) in the subsequent periods of two years.
The authorization may be extended to the investor’s family members and the residence permit may be granted on a permanent basis after the initial period of five years. The Portuguese nationality through naturalization may be requested after six years.
Children 18+ attending school;
Parents dependent on the investors.
Living in Portugal
Nice climate, quality of life and an ease place for doing business and entrepreneurship , Lisbon becomes the most promising city in Europe.
In the last few years, the city has met at the heart of an expansion on several fronts: real estate, technology and tourism.
It has meticulously convinced investors and ranked 7th on the list of Emerging Trends in Real Estate Europe 2017 (PWC and ULI).
Growth of 8.1% in 2018, contributing €38.4BN (US$45.5BN) to the nation’s economy. The level of growth is the highest of any country in the European Union and significantly above the EU average of 3.1%.
Becoming Websummit host, since 2017, Lisbon has been recognized as a hub for innovation and disruption in europe.
Quality of life
Sunny weather, cultural diversity, and low cost of living gathers people from all around the world.
An attractive program to get resident permit and then citizenship through an investment of minimum €350.000 in property
Any grown up, and direct family members, who is not a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland can apply for the Golden Visa. The applicants have to make investments in Portugal and also have a clean criminal record. Golden Visa applicants must maintain their investment over a period of 5 years
needed to apply:
• Declaration of compliance with investment requirements
• Proof of legal entry into Portugal (eg. Schengen short-stay visa)
• Proof of health insurance (issued within the last three months)
• Criminal record certificate from country of origin/residence (issued within the last three months)
• Evidence of compliance with tax and Social Security obligations
• Receipt of payment of the Portuguese Golden Visa fees.
• A completed permission form which authorizes SEF to your Portuguese criminal records
• Bank declaration confirming the transfer of funds
• The applicants need to show commitment to maintain their investment for a minimum of five years, plus evidence of their investment such as deeds of purchase for all real estate investments
• You need the following certified documents from a Portuguese consulate or the embassy of your country translated into Portuguese:
– Criminal certificate from country of origin
– Marriage certificate
– Birth certificate of children
What is Golden Visa
& Other FAQs.
Aimed at attracting foreign investment to Portugal, the Golden Visa is a very straightforward and flexible programme, with simple and clear legal requirements. With extremely reduced minimum stay requirements, the Golden Visa is clearly one of the most attractive residency programs for investors in the world.
• No need to obtain a visa to travel in Europe (Schengen area)
• Living and working in Portugal, even with residency in a different country
• Extremely low minimum stay periods
• Permanent Residency after 5 years
• Citizenship after 6 years
• Residency extended to family members
Golden Visa Programme implies an extremely reduced amount of requirements being asked from the investor. The Golden Visa Programme sets out that the investor must comply with general requirements applicable to all types of qualifying investments and also with the specific requirements of each type of qualifying investment.
In general, all investors have to comply with the following requirements:
• Keep the investment for a minimum period of 5 years.
• Funds for investment should come from abroad.
• Entry in Portugal with a valid Schengen visa.
• Absence of references in the Portuguese Immigration and the Schengen services.
• Absence of conviction of relevant crime.
The investor (or any family member) will only be refused the Golden Visa (or its renewal) if:
• He/she has not complied with the minimum periods of stay in Portugal
• He/she has not maintained the investment for the minimum period of 5 (years)
• He/she has been convicted of a crime punishable with a prison sentence of more than one year
• The investor is in a period where he/she has been banned entry into Portuguese territory following a removal measure of the country
• On the grounds of public health (this may only be based on diseases that have been defined by the World Health Organization or other infectious or parasitic contagious diseases which are the object of protection measures in Portuguese territory)
• A Golden Visa may be refused on the grounds of public order, public security or public health
Under the Golden Visa Programme, the investor’s family members may also apply and obtain a resident permit from Portugal by applying for “family reunion”. The Golden visa will be extended to family members, directly to spouse and under age children (Under 18 years of age – Minors or children who are under guardianship of the couple or of one of the spouses. Minors adopted by an unmarried applicant, by a married applicant or by the spouse, Children who are of age and of whom the couple or one of the spouses is in charge, that attend a teaching institution.).
There is no limitation to family members.
The family members will also be eligible for Permanent Residency after 5 years Portuguese Citizenship after 6 years.
Full-age end the school after granting the golden visa what happen during the renewal?
The children must be attending a teaching institute and that the investor continues to bear all the expenses of the regrouped, since it is also necessary to prove that the older child is economically dependent on the Investor (through bank statements or IRS for example). The children must be single during the investment period.
Yes, there is no restriction that investor and/ or family members to work in Portugal
A person authorized to live in Portugal, has the right to education, maintain professional activity,health care, and justice system.
The requirement to be in Portugal for investors is only 7 days in the first year and 14 days in the following periods of 2 years.
Holders of Permanent Residency titles should not be away from the country for more than 24 months in a row or 30 alternate months within a period of 3 years. Please note that there is an exception to these time requirements, which can be used if the investor needs to be away for longer periods of time due to business reasons.
How long will be the process for the renewal of the Resident Permit? Does the applicant need to go to Portugal for it?
The renewal process is very quick and at maximum it will take 60 days. The Investor will need to come here after the renewal has been approved to obtain is new residency permit.
The Portuguese legislation also sets out that any person who has been validly resident in Portugal for at least 6 (years (either under a temporary or permanent residency title), is eligible for obtaining Portuguese Citizenship.
In order to be able to obtain Portuguese Citizenship, the investor and family members will also have to comply with the following requirements:
• Absence of conviction of any relevant crime
• Be at least 18 years old (or at least 16 but married or legally responsible)
• Pass a simple Portuguese language test, which will serve to show sufficient knowledge of the language
What happened to the investment after 5 years? Can the investor sell the property or transfer the money to another country?
Yes, the investor only needs to hold the investment during the Golden Visa’s validity period – 5 years
for Living in Portugal
Planeur supports you during the whole process for obtaining Golden Visa. Want to learn more about the basics of living in Portugal ?
Planeur has got all information you need:
Level/grades, fees, location
Courses, duration, fees, location
Best hospitals with contact and location
Please submit your details to receive a detailled list of English spaeking schools and hospitals in Lisbon and Porto